Robin Chard, PhD, RN, CNOR
Associate Professor, Nursing, Nova Southeastern University
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Communications and Relationship Management
In this session, Chard will review effective negotiation skills that may be used in a multidisciplinary environment. She will also instruct participants on effective methods mangers may use to foster collaborative, interdisciplinary relationships. Also, she will provide participants with tools for evaluating organizational effectiveness in perioperative services.
The purpose of this continuing education activity is to review the skills needed for effective communication and relationship management in the perioperative practice setting. The module explores negotiation skills, collaborative and multidisciplinary relationships, organizational effectiveness, teamwork, conflict resolution, and effective communication.
Upon completion of this module, you should be able to:
- List effective negotiation skills that may be used in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Describe methods used to foster collaborative, interdisciplinary relationships.
- Describe methods for evaluating organizational effectiveness in perioperative services.
- Describe specific behaviors used to foster teamwork.
- List conflict resolutions skills.
- Describe methods of effective communication used to disseminate information in perioperative services.
About the speaker:
Chard is an Associate Professor in the College of Nursing and teaches in the graduate and PhD nursing programs. Her clinical background is in operating room nursing and she holds certification in that specialty. Dr. Chard’s research interests are in surgical patient safety and OR nursing errors.