Ambulatory Practice Resources
AORN has set the standard in developing effective and practical resources that promote patient safety in the ambulatory surgery setting, including:
AORN Tool Kits
AORN tool kits offer practical tools to help address the critical issues impacting the ambulatory surgical setting including template documents, guidelines, education materials, and more. Some tool kits offer free contact hours for AORN members upon completion of the appropriate forms. The following tool kits can be accessed at no cost by AORN members:
- Fire Safety* raises awareness of surgical fires and supports planning fire prevention and response strategies.
- Correct Site Surgery gives health care providers the resources to implement The Joint Commission Universal Protocol.
- Safe Medication Administration* enhances perioperative medication competencies, expands awareness on safe medication administration, and addresses issues related to perioperative medication practices.
- Patient Hand-Off guides perioperative professionals in standardizing hand-off communications among caregivers.
- Human Factors in Health Care uses an evidence-based approach to assist with the development and implementation of a human factors program in the perioperative environment. It supports research, planning, design, and execution of a team-training program.
- Management of Surgical Smoke provides the most current, evidence-based resources to manage surgical smoke in the perioperative environment to protect patients and perioperative team members
*Non-members may purchase select AORN tool kits through the AORN Perioperative Bookstore while supplies last.
Books, Magazines, and CDs
AORN's online bookstore offers access to classic titles such as Alexander's Care of the Patient in Surgery, as well as must-have resources such as AORN's Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices and in addition to a variety of other books. AORN members receive discounted prices on select titles.
AORN's Ambulatory Surgery Center Resources CD can help establish a comprehensive infection prevention and control program with this in-depth policy and procedure framework, and step-by-step guidelines. The document can be downloaded and customized to your center. The CD also includes job descriptions and competencies unique to the ambulatory setting (risk management, employee health nurse, infection preventionist, etc.)
The AORN Journal is an invaluable resource that contains original content on challenges facing perioperative nurses in all settings where surgical/invasive procedures are performed. In addition, the Journal’s Clinical Issues articles offer answers to commonly asked questions from perioperative nurses in a variety of practice settings. You can also earn continuing education units quickly and easily through CE articles. (The full content of the Journal is available to AORN members online.)
AORN offers a variety of ambulatory-focused webinars.
AORN PEP Program
Perioperative Excellence Program (PEP) For ASCs
AORN membership for 6 staff members
Clinical Practice Support
Find clinical answers to your questions and get help implementing AORN Recommended Practices with help from expert perioperative nurses who have extensive experience in ASC settings. Nurses from AORN's Center for Nursing Practice are involved in developing the standards, recommended practices, and guidelines and can assist with practical ways they can be applied in an ASC.