Below are frequently asked questions about Periop 101. If you have a question that is not below please email email@example.com. You can also call customer service at (800) 755-2676.
» After submitting a Periop 101 Order Form/Terms and Conditions and payment to AORN, what happens next?
- Upon receipt of the completed Invoice/Order Form/Terms and Conditions (including signature) and payment, AORN will e-mail the contact person or Administrator listed with the information needed to start the Periop 101 Administrator Course. Purchase orders are not considered payment; AORN must receive a check or credit card payment before Periop 101 is activated and access given. AORN's order form serves as your invoice.
» What is included in the Periop 101 online course fee for our facility?
» Are there any other fees related to using the course?
» Are there materials we need to purchase to implement the course?
Yes. There are required book reading assignments and recommended books and video titles.
Required Reading Assignments in Two (2) Textbooks
The Perioperative Textbook Package (includes one copy of each the latest edition of AORN Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices and Alexander's Care of the Patient in Surgery) at a discounted package price. For current pricing, visit the AORN Bookstore.
AORN also recommends 30+ video titles (available in CD-ROM and DVD formats, or as an online video library subscription) from AORN's partner, Cine-Med. These videos can be used to supplement learning and provide education for other perioperative staff members. For video content summaries and pricing, visit the Cine-Med web site. Facilities that have purchased Periop 101 teaching rights are eligible for a discount on the purchase of the video titles in CD-ROM and DVD formats for the two-year term of your agreement. Make sure you get the discount code from the AORN Periop 101 Account Manager before you order your videos.
- The first video title is purchased at the full nondiscounted price.
- If you buy 6-10 video titles, you get a 25% discount on the videos after the first one.
- If you buy 11 or more video titles, you get a 50% discount on the videos after the first one.
- For an exact price quote to make payment, please contact Cine-Med at 1-800-633-0004.
- You also can purchase the online video library subscription for the videos. Additional logins may be purchased from Cine-Med as needed. Information about the online video library subscriptions is available online. For more information please call Cine-Med at 1-800-633-0004.
» How long does it typically take for a student to complete the course?
- Student registrations are valid for 6 months, starting on the date the student initially registers online for the course. Completion times may vary due to class size, student experience, student availability, and resources. It is up to the Administrator to set up the students’ schedules so that they are done by the end of 6 months. Administrators will need to meet regularly with the students to accomplish additional important tasks, such as answer students’ questions from the textbook reading assignments and online learning modules, review the posttests, introduce facility-specific policies, complete some of the suggested group exercises together (including demos and skills labs), view the recommended videos, share experiences, bring in guest speakers, and make sure module concepts are completely understood. Of course, the student’s clinical practicum/preceptorship will need to be arranged by the Administrator and supervised by a preceptor.
Students do not have to have completed their entire clinical time in the OR before taking the final exam (they get 2 free final exam attempts). However, they should have completed a large portion of their clinical hands-on time in the OR before taking the exam so that they are able to answer the questions requiring skills in patient assessment, decision-making, and analytical, clinical reasoning. Please refer to the AORN Position Statement on Orientation of the Registered Nurse and Certified Surgical Technologist to the Perioperative Setting.
» What if our course administrator leaves? Are administrator seats transferable?
- Administrator seats are not transferable. If the course administrator leaves, your facility may identity a new Administrator and use one of the complimentary Administrator seats (if you have not already used both seats) or purchase another Administrator seat. In addition, the new Course Administrator must complete the mandatory online Administrator Course.
» Are student or preceptor registrations transferable?
- No, Student, Preceptor, and Administrator registrations/seats are not transferable once the person has registered online for the course.
» When did the new Periop 101 course become available as an online course?
- The Periop 101: A Core Curriculum™ online course has been available online since September 2007. All license agreements ended for the CD-ROM/paper-based Perioperative Nursing Course 101 as of August 1, 2008.