How do we Form a State Council?
Any state can form a state council. A state council can also choose to be an affiliate of AORN within the formal AORN structure. Each affiliate state council must follow the mission and core values of AORN.
Steps for forming a state council
- Appoint or elect officers. Officers should consist of at least a chair, co-chair or vice chair, secretary and treasurer.
- Obtain an Employee Identification Number (EIN) with the IRS. This is necessary in order to be recognized as a 501(c)(6) organization exempt from federal income taxes.
- Set up a bank account. This typically requires you to have an EIN number. It is best to have two signatures on the account (eg, chair and treasurer).
- Write your bylaws and have them reviewed and approved by the board or membership.
- Contact your state division of corporations/secretary of state and consider filing a certificate of incorporation.
If you would like assistance in forming a new State Council, please contact AORN Government Affairs