Brenda G. Larkin
Nominating & Leadership Development Committee Candidate
Brenda G. Larkin, MS, RN, ACNS-BC, CNOR, is a clinical nurse specialist, Perioperative Services, at Aurora Health Care system’s Aurora Lakeland Medical Center, Elkhorn, Wisconsin, and Aurora Memorial Hospital, Burlington, Wisconsin. She earned her bachelor of science in physiology from the University of Illinois at Urbana; her bachelor of science in nursing from the University of Illinois at Chicago; and her master of science in nursing from Rush University College of Nursing, Chicago.
Larkin has been a perioperative nurse for 23 years and a member of AORN for 21 years. She is a member of
• AORN of Southeastern Wisconsin (2004-present),
• the Advanced Practice Nursing Specialty Assembly (2008-present),
• the Clinical Nurse Educator Specialty Assembly (2013-present), and
• the Leadership Specialty Assembly (2013-present).
She has been a member of
• the Clinical Nurse Educator Specialty Assembly (2004-2007).
Larkin has attended Congress eight times in the past 10 years, each time as a delegate.
Larkin has received
• the AORN Journal Writers Contest Award (2004).
Highlights of Larkin’s service to AORN include that she is
• a member of the AORN of Southeastern Wisconsin Steering Committee (2007-present).
She has been
• a member of the AORN of Southeastern Wisconsin Board of Directors (2010-2012),
• past-president of the AORN of Southeastern Wisconsin (2007-2008),
• president of the AORN of Southeastern Wisconsin (2006-2007),
• a member of the AORN of Southeastern Wisconsin Nominating Committee (2005-2006), and
• treasurer of the AORN of Southeastern Wisconsin (2004-2006).
In other leadership roles, Larkin is
• a member of the Wisconsin Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (2006-present),
• leader of the OR Clinical Nurse Specialists Systems Projects for the Aurora HealthCare System (2007-present),
• a member of the Competency & Credentialing Institute CNS-CP Advisory Council (2012-present), and
• an item writer for the Competency & Credentialing Institute CNS-CP examination (2013-present).
She has been
• founding treasurer of the Wisconsin Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (2006-2011).
In her community, Larkin
• co-leads a Bible study group at a local church (2004-present) and
• develops perioperative certificate curriculum for the Gateway Technical College Advisory Committee (2013-present).