Darlene B. Murdock
Nominating & Leadership Development Committee Candidate
Darlene B. Murdock, BSN, BA, RN, CNOR, is a clinical nurse IV at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, Houston. She earned her associate of technology in data processing from the Jones Junior College, Ellisville, Mississippi; her bachelor of arts in business administration from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte; and her bachelor of science in nursing from The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston.
Murdock has been a perioperative nurse for 23 years and a member of AORN for 21 years. She is a member of
• AORN of Greater Houston (2004-present),
• Texas Council of Operating Room Nurses (2012-present),
• the Leadership Specialty Assembly (2012-present), and
• the Neurosurgery, Orthopedics and Trauma Specialty Assembly (2008-present).
Murdock has attended Congress three times in the past 10 years, each time as a delegate.
Murdock has received
• the Perioperative Nurse of the Year Award for the AORN of Greater Houston (2011).
Highlights of Murdock’s service to AORN include that she is
• a member of the national Awards Committee (2013-present) and
• president of the AORN of Greater Houston (2013-present).
She has been
• chair of the Neurosurgery, Orthopedics and Trauma Specialty Assembly (2012-2013),
• communication chair of the Neurosurgery, Orthopedics and Trauma Specialty Assembly (2010-2012),
• president-elect of the AORN of Greater Houston (2012-2013), and
• chair of the AORN of Greater Houston Membership Committee (2010-2012).
In other leadership roles, Murdock is
• a member of the Career Ladder Board of Directors at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center (2006-present),
• a Competency & Credentialing Institute champion (2007-present),
• chair of the Performance Improvement Committee at the Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center (2009-present),
• a member of the Texas Nurses Association (2012-present), and
• a member of the Leadership Development Academy at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center (2013-present).
In her community, Murdock is
• a local school district medical volunteer (2009-present),
• a volunteer for Project C.U.R.E. (Commission on Urgent Relief and Equipment) (2010-present), and
• a participant in Texas Legislature sessions (2011-present).