Denise Jackson, MSN, RN, CNS, CRNFA, is a clinical nurse specialist and RN first assistant at Shannon Medical Center and at The Better Weight Center, San Angelo, Texas, and the clinical supervisor of the Advanced Practice RN Postgraduate RN First Assistant (RNFA) Certificate Course, Department of Nursing, at Angelo State University, San Angelo. She earned her bachelor of science in nursing from Texas Woman’s University, Denton, and her master of science in nursing from Angelo State University, San Angelo.
Jackson has been a perioperative nurse for 29 years and a member of AORN for 29 years. She is a member of
• eChapter (2004, 2007-present),
• the Texas Council of Operating Room Nurses (2004-present),
• the RN First Assistant Specialty Assembly (2004-present),
• the Advanced Practice Nursing Specialty Assembly (2008-present),
• the Leadership Specialty Assembly (2010-present),
• the Neurosurgery, Orthopedics and Trauma Specialty Assembly (2011-present),
• the Abdominal/Pelvic and Minimally Invasive Surgery Specialty Assembly (2012-present),
• the Ambulatory Surgery Specialty Assembly (2013-present), and
• the Perioperative Nursing Informatics Specialty Assembly (2008-2010, 2013-present).
She has been a member of
• AORN of the Concho Valley (2005-2007) and
• the Trauma Specialty Assembly (2006-2007).
Jackson has attended Congress nine times in the past 10 years, eight times as a delegate.
Jackson has received
• a Legislative Award from the AORN Government Affairs Department (2006).
Highlights of Jackson’s service to AORN include that she is
• a member of the AORN Board of Directors (2010-present) and
• Board liaison to the RNFA Core Curriculum Task Force (2012-present).
She has been
• a member of the national RN First Assistant Futures Task Force (2010-2011),
• a member of the national Clinical Nursing Practice Committee (2009-2010),
• AORN legislative coordinator for the state of Texas (2004-2009),
• a member of the national Congress Education Planning Committee (2009-2010),
• chair of the Advanced Practice Nursing Specialty Assembly (2008-2009),
• professional practice issues chair of the Advanced Practice Nursing Specialty Assembly (2008-2009),
• co-chair of the Legislative Committee for the Texas Council of Operating Room Nurses (2005-2009), and
• a member of the eGrant Committee for eChapter (2008-2009).
In other leadership roles, Jackson is
• the west region representative for the Texas Nurses Association Government Affairs Committee (2009-present) and
• a contributing author to the RN First Assistant Core Curriculum, 5th edition (2012-present).
She has been
• an item writer for the Competency & Credentialing Institute Clinical Nurse Specialist examination (2013),
• a member of the Surgical Site Infection Committee at Shannon Medical Center (2008-2009), and
• a grassroots coordinator for Texas clinical nurse specialists (2007-2008).
In her community, Jackson is
• a supporter of Katalyst Ministries (2011-present) and
• a member of the Slovensky Cuvac Club of North America (2013-present).