Donna A. Ford
Board of Directors Candidate
Donna A. Ford, MSN, RN-BC, CNOR, CRCST, is a nursing education specialist, Division of Surgical Services, Department of Nursing, at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, and assistant professor of nursing at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester. She earned her associate of applied science in nursing from Rochester Community College, Rochester; her bachelor of science in nursing from Winona State University, Winona, Minnesota; and her master of science in nursing from the University of Phoenix online.
Ford has been a perioperative nurse for 30 years and a member of AORN for 24 years. She is a member of
• AORN of Hiawathaland Minnesota (2004-present),
• the Clinical Nurse Educator Specialty Assembly (2004-present), and
• the Leadership Specialty Assembly (2007-present).
Ford has attended Congress nine times in the past 10 years, six times as a delegate and three times as an alternate.
Highlights of Ford’s service to AORN include that she is
• a member of the Recommended Practices Advisory Board (2013-present) and
• president of AORN of Hiawathaland Minnesota (2011-present).
She has been
• chair of the national Clinical Nursing Practice Committee (2010-2013),
• chair (2009-2010) and a member (2008-2009) of the national Nominating and Leadership Development Committee,
• a member of the national Congress Education Planning Committee (2004-2006), and
• a member of the national Practice Issues Task Force (2004-2005).
In other leadership roles, Ford is
• a member of Kappa Mu Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau (2004-present).
• contributed to the Mayo Clinic Colon and Rectal Surgery and General Surgery Normothermia Project (2013),
• established protocols to reduce surgical site infections for general and plastic surgery at the Mayo Clinic(2013),
• developed staff and physician surgical skin prep education modules for the Mayo Clinic (2013), and
• developed sharps safety education sessions for the Division of Surgical Services at the Mayo Clinic (2012-2013).
In her community, Ford is
• a volunteer for the Minnesota Department of Transportation Adopt-a-Highway Program (2004-present).