Kathleen B. Gaberson
Board of Directors Candidate
Kathleen B. Gaberson, PhD, RN, CNOR, CNE, ANEF, is a nursing education consultant at OWK Consulting, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She earned her diploma in nursing from Presbyterian-University Hospital School of Nursing, Pittsburgh, her bachelor of science in nursing from Carlow University, Pittsburgh, and her master of nursing education and doctor of philosophy in education from the University of Pittsburgh.
Gaberson has been a perioperative nurse for 44 years and a member of AORN for 31 years. She is a member of
• AORN of Pittsburgh (2004-present),
• eChapter (2008-present),
• Pennsylvania Council of OR Nurses (2004-present),
• the Retired Nurses Specialty Assembly (2008-present),
• the Business, Industry & Consulting Specialty Assembly (2009-present), and
• the Leadership Specialty Assembly (2010-present).
She has been a member of
• AORN of the Appalachian Area (2004-2006).
Gaberson has attended Congress 10 times in the past 10 years, nine times as a delegate and once as an alternate.
• an inaugural fellow of the Academy of Nursing Education (2007-present).
Highlights of Gaberson’s service to AORN include that she is
• a member of the AORN Board of Directors (2012-present),
• Board liaison to the Editorial Board (2012-present),
• Board liaison to the National Committee on Education (2012-present),
• Board liaison to the national Nursing Research Committee (2013-present), and
• chair of the national Policy Committee (2013-present).
She has been
• the research section editor of the AORN Journal (2004-2011),
• a member of the Editorial Board of the AORN Journal (2007-2011),
• a member of the national Evidence-Based Practice Evidence Scoring Task Force (2010-2011),
• a member of the national Nursing Research Committee (2008-2010), and
• a member of the national Academic Curriculum Development Task Force (2006-2007).
In other leadership roles, Gaberson is
• a member of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society (2004-present),
• a member of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing (2004-present),
• a member of the National League for Nursing (2004-present), and
• a member of the Pennsylvania State Nurses Association (2008-present).
She has been
• a faculty leadership mentor for the National League for Nursing/Johnson & Johnson Faculty Leadership and Mentoring Program (2008-2009).
In her community, Gaberson is
• a nurse volunteer for blood pressure screenings at the Forest Hills Senior Citizens Center (2008-present) and
• chair of the Publicity Committee of the Garden Club of Forest Hills, Pennsylvania (2013-present).
She has been
• a volunteer camp nurse at Camp Lutherlyn (2004-2013),
• a presidential campaign worker (2012), and
• a nurse volunteer for a health mission trip to a Diné (Navajo) reservation (2009).