Nominating & Leadership Development Committee Candidate
Vangie Dennis, BSN, RN, CMLSO, CNOR, is administrative director for Spivey Station Surgery Center, Jonesboro, Georgia. She earned her associate in nursing from Georgia State University, Atlanta, and her bachelor of science in nursing from Chamberlain College of Nursing online. She is currently pursuing her master of science in nursing from The University of Texas at Arlington.
Dennis has been a perioperative nurse for 31 years and a member of AORN for 25 years. She is a member of
• AORN of Northwest Georgia (2013-present),
• the Abdominal/Pelvic and Minimally Invasive Surgery Specialty Assembly (2004-present),
• the Business, Industry & Consulting Specialty Assembly (2010-present), and
• the Sterile Processing/Supply Chain Management Specialty Assembly (2010-present).
She has been a member of
• AORN of Suburban Atlanta Georgia (2004-2013).
Dennis has attended Congress 10 times in the past 10 years, once as a delegate.
Dennis has received
• the AORN Award for Outstanding Achievement in Perioperative Clinical Nursing Education (2011) and
• the Laser Institute of America’s R. James Rockwell, Jr, Educational Achievement Award (2011).
Highlights of Dennis’s service to AORN include that she is
• Board liaison to the American National Standards Institute (2010-present).
She has been
• a member of the national Recommended Practices Committee (2007-2010),
• a member of the national Smoke Evacuation Task Force (2008-2010),
• a member of the national Perioperative Environment of Care Task Force (2007-2008),
• a member of the national Workplace Safety Committee (2006-2007),
• past-secretary of the Abdominal/Pelvic and Minimally Invasive Surgery Specialty Assembly (2006-2007),
• past-chair of the Abdominal/Pelvic and Minimally Invasive Surgery Specialty Assembly (2004-2006), and
• past-vice president of AORN of Suburban Atlanta Georgia (2006).
In other leadership roles, Dennis is
• a member of the Editorial Board for the American Journal of Clinical Laser Medicine and Surgery (2004-present) and
• chair of the National Certification Examination for Medical Lasers Board of Laser Safety (2013-present).
She has been
• chair of the Advanced Technology Partners Health Alliance (2004-2011),
• a member of the Gwinnet Technical School Clinical Advisory Board (2004-2011), and
• a member of the Laser Institute of America Board of Directors (2005-2010).
In her community, Dennis is
• a member of the Women’s Services Advisory Council at Gwinnett Hospital (2005-2011),
• chair of the Employee Giving Program at Gwinnett Hospital System (2005-2011),
• a member of the Communities Educators Network (2005-present), and
• a Board member of Arts Clayton, a nonprofit community arts organization (2005-present).
She has been
• chair of a Church Small Group Leadership (2008-2010).