Subject Matter Expert Application
Become an AORN Subject Matter Expert to enhance perioperative practice and your career
Are you interested in working with AORN and contributing to perioperative progress? AORN is seeking subject matter experts (SMEs) in a variety of perioperative subject areas to help develop educational publications, webinars, video and other learning tools for members. By participating with the AORN SME program, you can also enhance your career with acknowledgment in publications and product development.
If you would like to be considered for a project and meet the below qualifications, please complete a short application and AORN will try to match your area of expertise with an upcoming project. SMEs may be compensated monetarily for their work.
Projects requiring SMEs will utilize various modalities, i.e. print, online, webinars, video, and may include:
- Education Modules
- Study Guides
- Interviews with Media
- Master’s Degree preferred or equivalent experience.
- CNOR or specialty certification preferred.
- Member of AORN and/or other specialty organizations preferred.
- Evidence of expertise in a subject, i.e. certification(s), years of practice experience, previous SME experience, publications, oral and/or poster presentations on subject, development of online modules, print study guides, book chapters, etc.
- Ready access to a computer and e-mail, and experience with MS Word version 97 or above; Windows-based preferred.
- Relevant writing/publication presentation experience preferred.
How it works
AORN’s new SME application process is now done completely online. It may take up to an hour to initially complete the application, but it may be easily revised, updated, and reactivated each year, and the application may be completed over multiple sessions for your convenience.
To be considered as a SME, please submit this electronic application. Those with AORN records will have certain fields automatically populated based on the information we have in your record. You may update or complete the fields as needed, and those changes will be reflected in your application and AORN record when saved.
An applicant’s SME application will be active for one (1) year. Applicants will be sent an e-mail reminder to update their application for another year prior to the deactivation date. It is the responsibility of the SME applicant to provide updates to AORN (phone numbers, address changes, etc). It is the responsibility of the SME applicant to inactivate their application if they are no longer interested in being considered for a SME position.