The 2016 Individual Awards nomination process is closed and will reopen in the Fall.
We encourage AORN members to nominate yourself or a worthy colleague for one of AORN's individual achievement awards. The AORN Individual Awards program provides an annual opportunity to recognize and honor members who have demonstrated excellence in the perioperative nursing profession.
The eight individual achievement award categories are listed below. Each category page provides further information including award criteria and required elements for completing the online application. Applicants may apply for more than one award, unless applying for the Award for Excellence in Perioperative Nursing; applicants are eligible to submit for that award only.
- Award for Excellence in Perioperative Nursing
- Outstanding Volunteer Leadership
- Outstanding Achievement in Mentorship
- Outstanding Achievement in Perioperative Clinical Nursing Practice
- Outstanding Achievement in Perioperative Nursing Management
- Outstanding Achievement in Perioperative Education, Clinical or Academic
- Promising Professional Achievement Award
Important Points to Remember
- Nominees must be a current member of AORN
- Review criteria for award you are applying or being nominated for
- Review basic information and tips for online process prior to beginning the application
- Nominated applications must include Nominator information and Nominator statement
- Self-nominated applications must include Sponsor information and Sponsor statement
AORN Board of Directors, Awards Committee members, judging panel members, and Headquarters staff are ineligible for awards while holding any of these positions. Awards Committee members and judging panel members may not nominate and/or sponsor any individual award applicants during their term due to conflict of interest involving the judging process.
When evaluating individual applications, the Awards Committee will establish minimum scoring thresholds. The committee and judging panels will base their decisions on criteria including, but not limited to: strength of candidate's statement, quality of supporting endorsements, membership and participation in AORN, certification(s), additional professional memberships, and content of Curriculum Vitae or Résumé. All information received will be kept confidential by the Awards Committee and judging panels. Awards are presented annually at AORN's Surgical Conference & Expo.
Contact the Awards Committee staff liaison if you have any questions regarding the awards process.