Pressure ulcers are a common problem for patients causing significant pain and adding additional costs to health care delivery. All surgical patients should be considered at risk for pressure ulcer development. This tool kit will assist perioperative RNs and other interested health care professionals prevent the development of pressure ulcers in surgical patients. Included in the tool kit are evidence-based perioperative pressure ulcer prevention strategies, patient risk assessment tools, teaching slide decks, and hand off communication methods.
The Prevention of Perioperative Pressure Ulcers Tool Kit was funded in part by grants from Sage Products, LLC and Medtronic through the AORN Foundation.
- Faculty Disclosure Slides (Powerpoint, PPTX)
- Educational slide deck: The Basics of Patient Positioning (Powerpoint, PPTX)
- Sample-OR Pressure Ulcer Chart Summary Template (PDF)
- Sample-Case Studies (PDF)
- Sample Checklist-Prevent Perioperative Pressure Ulcers (PDF)
- Sample – Pressure Ulcer Worksheet (PDF)
- Scott Triggers 2015 (PDF)
- Scott Triggers Gap Analysis Template (Excel, XLS)
- Instructions for the Munro Pressure Ulcer Risk Assessment Scale for Perioperative Patients for Adults (PDF)
- Munro Pressure Ulcer Risk Assessment Scale for Perioperative Patients for Adults (Excel, XLS)
- Older Adult Resources (PDF)
- Websites for Older Adult Resources and Prevention of Pressure Ulcers (PDF)
- AORN Position Statement on Perioperative Pressure Ulcer Prevention in the Care of the Surgical Patient (PDF)
You may earn 1.3 contact hours before December 31, 2017 by reviewing the 5 webinars below and completing the online evaluation..
- Positioning OR Patients to Prevent the Development of Pressure Ulcers
Positioning OR Patients to Prevent the Development of Pressure Ulcers Slide Deck (PDF)
- Pressure Ulcer Project Implementation of the Munro Scale
- Risk Assessment using the Munro Pressure Ulcer Risk Assessment Scale for Perioperative Patients
Risk Assessment using the Munro Pressure Ulcer Risk Assessment Scale for Perioperative Patients Slide Deck (PDF)
- Best Practices to Improve Communication among Caregivers Related to the Prevention of Perioperative Pressure Ulcers
- Perioperative Pressure Ulcer Risk and Prevention: Scott Triggers®
- Poster 1: What is an OR-acquired Pressure Ulcer? (PDF)
- Poster 2: How to Identify an OR-acquired Pressure Ulcer (PDF)
- Poster 3: Take the Pressure Off of Your Patient (PDF)
- Poster 4: Communication/Hand off (PDF)
- Poster 5: Selecting Support Surfaces (PDF)
- Poster 6: Promote the tool kit (PDF)
- Poster 7: Reduce, Relieve, Redistribute (PDF)
Content Reuse Policy
Users are not permitted to use this content for commercial purposes. Users are permitted to copy and paste content and adapt it for use in their work settings. Permission for other uses may be sought directly from AORN, Inc., located in Denver, Colorado (USA), by contacting the Publications Department by email at email@example.com or by fax (303) 750-3441.
Copyright ©2017 AORN, Inc. All rights reserved. Except as noted herein, no part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or any information storage and retrieval system, without prior written permission from AORN, Inc.
No responsibility is assumed by AORN, Inc. for any injury and/or damage to persons or property as a matter of products liability, negligence or otherwise, or from any use or operation of any standards, recommended practices, methods, products, instructions, or ideas contained in the material herein. Because of rapid advances in the health care sciences in particular, independent verification of diagnoses, medication dosages, and individualized care and treatment should be made. The material contained herein is not intended to be a substitute for the exercise of professional medical or nursing judgment The content in this publication is provided on an as is basis.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, AORN, INC. DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT OR THIRD PARTIES RIGHTS, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.