Care of the Pediatric Patient in Surgery
Care of a child in the perioperative environment is a complex process due to the vast differences in children as they progress through the varying stages of development from neonatal through adolescence. Nursing interventions implemented during the preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative phases are multifaceted and take into account the continuum of physiological and psychosocial changes occurring in the child.
This educational module will provide an overview of the anatomical and physiological differences between children and adults, and review the developmental stages that establish the basis for safe care. Topics covered include: family-centered care, parent present induction, anesthesia and positioning considerations, temperature regulation and pain management.
Objectives for this module include:
- Identify key components of the perioperative pediatric assessment and plan of care.
- Relate age-specific elements of the physiological and psychosocial perioperative assessment.
- Relate appropriate prevention interventions used to address potential complications.
- Identify the relationship between developmental stages and age-appropriate interventions.
- Identify key components of the pediatric patient intra- and postoperative plan of care.
- Cite three examples that demonstrate the differences in application of the Universal Protocol that are specific to the pediatric patient.
- Identify age-appropriate and family-centered interventions during the intraoperative and postoperative phases.
Participants receive 1.7 Contact Hours/AEU* after completion of the course and evaluation. Contact hours for this course will expire 4/1/2015.
AORN developed this course in collaboration with Children's Hospital Association.
AORN is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
AORN is Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number CEP 13019.
Denotes an Education Program approved for AEU credit by BASC Provider #0102. AEU credit available upon request only by calling Customer Service at 800-755-2676.
AORN recognizes these activities as continuing education for registered nurses. This recognition does not imply that AORN or the American Nurses Credentialing Center approves or endorses products mentioned in the activity.