CCI Certificate Program for Surgical Services Management Sessions
This session will give you an overview of professionalism and nursing ethics as they pertain to Perioperative Nursing Management.
- Uphold and act on ethical and professional matters
- Pursue and promote professional development opportunities
- Maintain active involvement in professional organizations
Review current approaches in development of knowledge, skills, attitudes and competencies required for effective leadership.
- Explore basic concepts of leadership
- Differentiating leadership and management
- Become a more effective leader
Communication and Relationship Management
Review skills needed for building and maintaining effective working relationships as related to perioperative services.
- Effective negotiation skills that may be used in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Methods used to foster collaborative, interdisciplinary relationships
- Specific behaviors used to foster teamwork
- Conflict resolution skills
- Methods of effective communication used to disseminate information in perioperative services
Learn key aspects of financial management as they relate to perioperative services and departments. This session focuses on preparing operating and capital budgets, managing budgets and examining factors that affect the budgeting process.
- Identify basics of developing an operating budget
- Identify methods to control costs while preserving the quality of care for surgical patients
- Discuss methods of monitoring the productivity of perioperative services
- Define successful practices for managing resources in the operating room
Human Resource Management
This session discusses the impact of the current nursing shortage and reviews strategies nurse managers can use to reduce it impact. Case studies provide you with the opportunity to synthesize the information and evaluate human resource management in workplace scenarios.
- Benefits of successful recruitment and the interview process
- Identify key components of a comprehensive orientation program
- Discuss various approaches to staff scheduling
- Define methods for assessing staff competency
- Explain the elements of the performance appraisal process
- Discuss individual motivators in the workplace
- List key factors in employee retention
- Distinguish the causes and effects of staff turnover
- Specify key considerations related to disciplinary action
- Recognize the importance of cultural competence in today’s workplace
- Identify personnel issues that affect teamwork
- Differentiate the generational characteristics of nurses in today’s workforce
- Describe the impact of workplace violence on staff members
- Specify strategies to improve workplace safety
- Describe key strategies in dealing with an impaired nurse
- Analyze human resource management in workplace scenarios
The purpose of this module is to provide a review of the knowledge and skills needed for effective strategic management of the surgical services department. It reviews the elements, steps, and timelines of the strategic planning process. The impact of applicable regulatory agencies, accreditation agencies, and professional organizations on the perioperative practice environment are outlined. The elements of a GAP analysis and strategies for developing an action plan are reviewed.
- Discuss the elements of the strategic planning process.
- Differentiate the impact of regulations, accreditation standards, and professional guidelines in the perioperative practice environment.
- Identify how process improvement programs apply to the strategic management of surgical services.
- Describe the technology skills needed by surgical services nurse managers today.
- Identify the requirements of perioperative services for various organizational recognitions.
- Discuss the external regulations and outcome measures that impact
- Critique managerial scenarios related to selected aspects of strategic management of surgical services
The purpose of this module is to provide managers with an overview of the knowledge and skills needed to coordinate work processes in the surgical setting. This module reviews the regulations, professional practice standards and guidelines that affect the surgical services environment. The module also discusses measures for evaluating the effectiveness of care, patient outcomes, and compliance with professional and accreditation standards as well as patient, staff, and physician satisfaction.
- Discuss conditions affecting the surgical services workplace environment.
- Differentiate regulatory and accrediting agencies.
- Explain metrics that determine effective surgical services outcomes.
- Describe why the coordination of work processes is essential.