The evenings are about relaxing and making connections with other nurses from around the world. All of you have expertise to share with each other for your future challenges. There are a variety of events to facilitate coming together and making new friends and colleagues. I know you will also have fun!
Whether you are a seasoned expert or an Expo first-timer, this week will be full, rewarding and, I believe, transformative for your practice and your professional development. Please enjoy this first edition of the Expo Daily News and thank you for attending and being part of making Expo 2016 an amazing experience for us all!
Renae Battié, MN, RN, CNOR
Don't Miss Events on Sunday
|Poster Displays||7am–5pm||Level 2|
|AORN Congress: Voting for Candidates||7am–5pm||Arena Lobby|
|AORN Foundation Silent Auction||7:30am–4:30pm||Room 208|
|AORN Opening Ceremony||2pm–3pm||Arena|
Speaker: Amy Purdy
Vote for the 2015-2016 AORN National Candidates online at www.aorn.org/vote or in the Arena Lobby. Officers, Board of Directors, and the Nominating and Leadership Development Committee will be elected via electronic ballot by all AORN members in good standing.
Tickets available for Silver Soiree
Monday, 4/4 | 8 - 11:30pm | House of Blues
Dance and enjoy as we celebrate the AORN Foundation’s 25th anniversary in style.
$35 includes admission and two drink tickets
Tickets available at the Foundation Booth in Lobby B
Saturday, 4/2–Tuesday, 4/5 | Room 208 A & B
Stop and shop to support the AORN Foundation. The Silent Auction offers a variety items, including vacation packages, electronics, gift cards, sports memorabilia, and more.
Silent Auction Hours:
- Saturday, April 2: 12–4:30pm
- Sunday, April 3: 7:30am–4:30pm
- Monday, April 4: 7:30am–1:30pm (close)
- Tuesday, April 5: 11:30am–3pm (pick-up)
Smoking in the OR?
When perioperative nurses are exposed to unevacuated surgical smoke, the short term effect can be watering or burning eyes, nausea, sore throat, chest congestion, or coughing. Long term, it gets worse, with a risk for diseases that are commonly linked to cigarette smoking. Surgical masks are not an adequate defense against carbon monoxide, benzene, formaldehyde or toluene.
To educate the perioperative team on the hazards of surgical smoke, AORN and Medtronic have partnered to provide education and tools to implement safe smoke evacuation practices. Facilities and operating rooms that work toward reducing and eliminating surgical smoke may apply for the AORN Go Clear Award to demonstrate their commitment to a safe workplace.
Learn more about the hazards of smoke in the operating room in AORN Central Booth 2688 on Monday, April 4 at 11:30am or Tuesday, April 5 at 10:30am. More information can also be found here: www.aorn.org/goclear.
Daily Expo Tips
- 400K sq. ft. is a lot of ground to cover. Each day pick 15 to 20 booths you want to visit.
- Eat often and always in small portions. AORN will host am and pm breaks with complimentary snacks and beverages in the exhibit hall.
- If contact hours are your main focus, concentrate on acquiring the educational handouts first, as they go quickly.
- Best places to see the daily Disneyland fireworks? Visit this blog post.
Visit AORN Central
Come learn more about AORN products and programs.
|Amy Purdy Book Signing||4:30pm–5:15pm|
|AORN Conference Mobile App Demo||5:45pm|
|AORN Conference Mobile App Demo||6:30pm|
AORN Bookstore Closes at 1pm Today
Free Daily Giveaways
We’re giving away a free gift with every purchase in the bookstore while supplies last! Don’t miss out on your chance to take home a great prize.
10% Discount – This Week Only!
Get 10% off these select online products at the AORN Bookstore:
- AORN eBooks
- Guidelines for Perioperative Practice, 2016 edition
- AORN’s Guidelines for Autologous Tissue
- Core Curriculum for the RN First Assistant
- AORN Guidelines and Tools for the Sterile Processing Team
- ASC Infection Prevention Course
- Administration of Moderate Sedation in the ASC
- Prep for CNOR Course