Publish Date: February 25, 2017
Did you know that each spring, the Competency & Credentialing Institute (CCI) matches donations made by or in honor of certified nurses? Starting March 1, CCI will match donations made by or in honor of a CNOR®, CRNFA®, CSSM® or CNS-CP® certified nurse up to $10,000. This generous donation recognizes certified nurses for their dedication to advancing their educations and, in turn, offering a higher level of patient care. By becoming certified, these individuals have taken the initiative to advance their careers and to seek professional recognition and credibility in their field. CCI believes that these nurses should receive special appreciation for their accomplishments.
Specialty Nursing Certification sets these nurses apart from those who may not have taken the steps to advance their knowledge. For those who are not familiar, CCI’s website provides the following explanation for specialty nursing certification:
- The formal process by which a certifying agency validates a nurse’s knowledge, skills, and abilities in a defined role and clinical area of practice
- The profession’s recognition of achievement, expertise and clinical judgment
- Based on predetermined standards
- Achieved through specialized education, experience in a specialty area and passing a qualifying exam
- Accredited specialty nursing certification is THE standard by which the public recognizes quality nursing care
The AORN Foundation partners with CCI each year to offer this matching donation campaign and also offers grants to help nurses fund their CNOR® certification. The grant application is now open to those who are seeking to become CNORs for the first time.