Publish Date: August 26, 2020
Congressional conversations around the next COVID-19 relief package continue, and the Nursing Community Coalition is working to ensure that key nursing priorities are included in the next and future COVID-19 packages. AORN joined 57 other members of the coalition to send a letter on August 18 to Speaker Pelosi, Leader McConnell, Leader McCarthy and Leader Schumer reiterating shared priorities and outlining additional priorities for any COVID-19 legislative package. Chief among these priorities are the protection and support for nurses and APRNs on the front lines, access to telehealth and investments in public health, among others.
On July 31, the House of Representatives passed a minibus appropriations bill which included Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education (LHHS-ED) funding initiatives. LHHS-ED funding of relevance to the nursing community includes:
- $269.972 million, a $10 million or 3.84% increase for Title VIII Nursing Workforce Development Programs;
- $170.567 million, a $1.454 million or 0.86% increase for the National Institute of Nursing Research (NINR);
- $5 million more for Nurse Corps Loan Repayment Program;
- Support for the National Institutes of Health (NIH); and
- Additional funding for mental health and gun violence research.
The federal Fiscal Year 2021 begins on October 1, 2020.