Key Takeaways: Guideline for Surgical Smoke Safety
Publish Date: November 24, 2021
NEW: The newly revised Guideline for Surgical Smoke Safety presents updated recommendations on smoke management during minimally invasive procedures.
Use a surgical smoke management system during minimally invasive procedures.
- NEW Minimally invasive surgical smoke evacuation equipment may include trocars, tubing, or accessories with ULPA and activated carbon filtration.
- NEW Do not release unfiltered surgical smoke into the OR during minimally invasive procedures.
- NEW Before removal of trocars, the insufflation gas may be filtered using a mechanical desufflation or a passive filtration method.
- Filtering insufflation gas before removal of trocars prevents possible perioperative team member exposure to surgical smoke contaminants.
eGuidelines +: Facility access to all AORN Guidelines and tools online.
Get access to the entire Surgical Smoke Safety guideline, plus competency verification and gap analysis tools, at-a-glance libraries, and key takeaways.
Get a free eGuidelines Plus trial for your facility today.
Free Resources for Members
- Guideline Essentials: Get ready-to-use and customizable templates and tools for implementing the Surgical Smoke Guideline.
- Clinical FAQs: Surgical Smoke
- Tool Kit: Management of Surgical Smoke
- AORN Journal Articles: