Any state can form a state council. A state council can also choose to be an affiliate of AORN within the formal AORN structure. Each affiliate state council must follow the mission and core values of AORN.
- Appoint or elect officers. Officers should consist of at least a chair, co-chair or vice chair, secretary and treasurer.
- Obtain an Employee Identification Number (EIN) with the IRS. This is necessary in order to be recognized as a 501(c)(6) organization exempt from federal income taxes.
- Set up a bank account. This typically requires you to have an EIN number. It is best to have two signatures on the account (eg, chair and treasurer).
- Write your bylaws and have them reviewed and approved by the board or membership.
- Contact your state division of corporations/secretary of state and consider filing a certificate of incorporation.
If you would like assistance in forming a new State Council, please contact AORN Government Affairs.