To ensure the safety of patients and staff, today's perioperative nurse must be knowledgeable about laser physics, tissue interaction, safety, and delivery systems.
This educational module presents an overview of information for health care personnel who may be involved in laser procedures and provides a foundation for the creation of facility-specific laser policies and procedures.
This module is designed to give perioperative personnel a foundation in laser biophysics, tissue interaction, and laser safety in a medical environment. The module also addresses laser safety protocols according to the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Z136.1 and Z136.3 Safe Use of Lasers in Health Care Facilities, AORN’s recommended practices (RPs), and the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS) practices.
- Discuss the laser biophysics that will result in tissue interactions.
- List the laser safety standards developed by three regulatory or standard setting bodies such as the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), the Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN), and the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS).
- Describe the essential precautions that must be in place whenever a laser is in use to ensure safety for patients and personnel.
- Describe the responsibilities of each health care professional involved in laser procedures.
- List three precautions that should be taken when performing upper airway laser procedures.
- Discuss the role of standard operating procedures including the records that must be maintained.>
Learners receive 2.5 Contact Hours after passing the Post Test with a score of at least 80% and completing the Course Evaluation. Contact hours expire 12/30/2018.
This program is approved for 2.5 hours of AEU credit by BASC Provider #0102.
AEU credit is available upon request and only by contacting Experience Services at email@example.com or 800-755-2676.
Course Length and Extension
This course is accessible for 3 months from the date of enrollment. If an extension is needed, there is a $50 fee per month, with a maximum extension of 3 months. Extension months must be consecutive. Please call Experience Services at 800-755-2676 to request an extension.
Visit Computer Specifications for Online Learning to learn about minimum system requirements for computer hardware and software used to take AORN online courses.