Advanced Practice Nursing Specialty Assembly
Advanced practice nursing has been described as nursing's final frontier. That statement, while sounding like a cliché, is an excellent descriptor for this expanding field that holds such interest and promise.
The role of the APN is multifaceted including leadership, research, practice, mentorship and collaboration (the five pieces of the puzzle), all with the intended goal of providing the patient increased access to medical care while connecting all the pieces of the puzzle to holistically insure that all the needs of the patient are met.
With experienced hands guiding, directing, orchestrating and quietly listening with their hearts, APNs promote positively patient outcomes ensuring safety, satisfaction and well being.
LOG IN to your specialty assembly on ORNurseLink.
Perioperative nurses interested in advanced nursing, master's or doctoral degrees, or research opportunities associated with graduate programs.
- Provide a forum by which perioperative advanced practice nurses can unite to discuss issues relevant to advanced practice nursing.
- Welcome and encourage members of the perioperative community who have an interest in advanced practice nursing to become active in this specialty assembly.
- Facilitate communication among advanced practice nurses in the perioperative community.
- Serve as a resource for perioperative leaders and AORN on issues related to advanced practice nursing.
- Serve as a resource for the membership of AORN on advanced practice nursing.
- Provide education opportunities for the advanced practice nurse involved in the care of perioperative patient.
- Determine the specific education needs of the perioperative community as they relate to advanced practice nursing and establish learning opportunities to address them.
- Facilitate evidence based research with regard to advanced practice nursing in the perioperative environment.
- Encourage application of evidence based research to improve patient care and safety in the perioperative environment.
2013-2014 Coordinating Council
Chair - Diana L. Wadlund, MSN, RN, CNOR, CRNFA
Chair-elect/Co-Education Chair - Stephen Patten, MSN, BSN, RN, CNOR
Communication Chair - Bobbie Geiger, MSN, NP-C, RN, CNOR
Co-Education Chair - Julie Mower, MSN, RN, CNS, CNOR
Professional/Practice Issues Chair - Daniel J. Hartley, MSN, BNS, FNP-C
AORN CNP Staff Liaison - Lisa Spruce, DNP, RN, ACNS, ACNP, ANP, CNOR
AORN Board Liaison - Kathleen Gaberson, PhD, RN, CNOR, CNE, ANEF
AORN Staff Consultant - Debbie Robichaud Stephen
As a member of this assembly, you can contact any member of the coordinating council via email using your AORN username and password through ORNurselink.
AORN's specialty assemblies on ORNurseLink are a great member benefit. Access is free to all members who belong to a specialty. The web communities provide a convenient method for all members to share information, post documents, participate in discussion threads, and submit a poll. You can contact the members of the coordinating council through the communities as well. To access your specialty community, you will need your AORN login and password.
AORN Customer Service can assist you in becoming a member of any specialty assembly today!
Contact us with questions about your specialty assembly.