Expand Your Knowledge - Strengthen Your Patient Care
Stay up-to-date with the latest in evidence-based, clinical best practices through the award-winning, peer-reviewed AORN Journal. Available in timely, easy-to-read print, electronic, and mobile formats.
Check it out! The new and improved AORN Journal homepage brings you all the essential information you need in a more contemporary, user-friendly format, featuring enhanced visuals, improved navigation, a more interactive experience (monthly podcasts and live Twitter feed), and improved access to recent and archived CE articles.
January 2017 Issue
This January issue features content on promoting civility in the OR, using simulation to implement an OR cardiac arrest crisis checklist, and improving staff knowledge of perioperative regulated-waste management. AORN Global Surgical Conference & Expo 2017 is also included, featuring selected speaker interviews and the slate of candidates and voting procedures.
- Transoral Robotic Surgery
- Back to Basics: Preventing Perioperative Pressure Injuries
- Clinical Issues: jewelry removal when using electrosurgical devices; use of electrosurgery when a cardiac implanted device is present; staffing when a laser is used
- Promoting Civility in the OR: An Ethical Imperative
- Using Simulation to Implement an OR Cardiac Arrest Crisis Checklist
- Improving Staff Knowledge of Perioperative Regulated-Waste Management
February 2017 Issue Preview
The February 2017 issue will feature articles on preventing unplanned perioperative hypothermia in children and remote video auditing in the surgical setting; there will also be a guideline summary and guideline implementation on hand hygiene.
AORN Journal Writers Contest Award Winners
The AORN Journal Writers Contest Awards recognize authors of the highest-quality AORN Journal articles. All articles published in the Journal in 2015 were eligible. Winning articles were chosen based on points awarded by Journal editors and Editorial Board members. Congratulations to our winners and honorable mentions!
The AORN Journal Writers Contest winners are:
- “Cardiac Risk Assessment: Decreasing Postoperative Complications” by Joanne L. Thanavaro, DNP, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, AGACNP-BC, DCC, FAANP (February)
- “The Nature and Hazards of Diathermy Plumes: A Review” by Catherine Lindsey, BN, RN; Marie Hutchinson, PhD, Grad Dip HA, MSc, RN, RM; and Gary Mellor, PhD, RN (April)
- “The Bariatric Patient: An Overview of Perioperative Care” by Jennifer L. Fencl, DNP, RN, CNS-BC, CNOR; Angela Walsh, MA, BSN, RN, CNOR; and Dawn Vocke, MSN, MBA, RN, CNOR (August)
Honorable mention goes to:
- “Computer Simulation Shows the Effect of Communication on Day of Surgery Patient Flow” by Kevin Taaffe, PhD; Lawrence Fredendall, PhD; Nathan Huynh, PhD; and Jennifer Franklin, MSN, NE-BC, CPAN (July)
- “Pressure Mapping Comparison of Four OR Surfaces” by Holly Kirkland-Walsh, MSN, FNP, CWCN; Oleg Teleten, MS, RN, CWCN; Machelle Wilson, PhD; and Bonnie Raingruber, PhD, RN (July)
AORN Journal CE Articles
Stay Current, Meet Requirements, Earn CEs
Searching for quality education? Preparing for recertification? AORN Journal Continuing Education (CE) articles feature a variety of perioperative topics, from sterilization and guideline implementation to prevention of sentinel events and infection prevention, as well as online evaluations with immediate test results!
Contribute to the AORN Journal
Write for the AORN Journal
Help patients through authorship — start writing for the AORN Journal. Get the resources you need to get started today including a list of suggested topics, author guidelines, a submission checklist, and more.
Peer Review for the AORN Journal
Help improve the quality of content in the AORN Journal by serving as a peer reviewer. Access the resources you need to get started today, including tutorials, guidelines, and more.