Expand Your Knowledge - Strengthen Your Patient Care
Stay up-to-date with the latest in evidence-based, clinical best practices through the award-winning, peer-reviewed AORN Journal. Available in timely, easy-to-read print, electronic, and mobile formats.
Introducing Journal Essentials
On-the-go just got easier with Journal Essentials - our new digital supplement to the AORN Journal. Providing a snapshot view of each month’s Journal articles, this great new resource delivers one page summaries of articles considered essential reading for perioperative practice!
Check out this month’s edition.
AORN Journal Receives Its First Impact Factor
The AORN Journal has been included in Clarivate Analytics’ 2017 Journal Citation Reports® and has received its first-ever Journal Impact Factor. The Impact Factor is based on impact and influence metrics, along with citation data from the Web of Science, and measures a journal’s influence in the scientific community. This is an incredibly exciting achievement that raises the Journal’s standing in scholarly literature.
July 2017 Issue
This July issue features articles on preparing staff members to care for patients undergoing face transplantation, managing do-not-resuscitate orders in the perioperative environment, using a tailored electronic health record to improve documentation practices, key points from the AORN “Guideline for minimally invasive surgery,” the basics of radiation safety, and more.
- Back to Basics: Radiation Safety
- Guideline Implementation: Minimally Invasive Surgery, Part 1
- Clinical Issues—July 2017
- Perioperative Nursing Management of Patients Undergoing Face Transplantation
- Do-Not-Resuscitate Orders in the Perioperative Environment
- Danish Perioperative Nurses’ Documentation: A Complex, Multifaceted Practice
The August 2017 Issue Preview
The August 2017 issue features a special focus on nursing education and includes articles on professional development strategies, transitioning from perioperative staff nurse to nurse educator, the effectiveness of nurse residency programs, integrating perioperative nursing into the BSN curriculum, and more!
AORN Journal Writers Contest Award Winners
The AORN Journal Writers Contest Awards recognize authors of the highest-quality AORN Journal articles. All articles published in the Journal in 2016 were eligible. Winning articles were chosen based on points awarded by Journal editors and Editorial Board members. Congratulations to our winners!
The 2017 AORN Journal Writers Contest winners are:
- “Pressure Ulcers: Factors Contributing to Their Development in the OR” by Dawn Engels, MSN, RN, CNS, CWOCN, CWCN-AP; Melody Austin, BSN, RN, CWOCN; Laurie McNichol, MSN, RN, CNS, GNP, CWOCN, CWON-AP; Jennifer Fencl, DNP, RN, CNS-BC, CNOR; Sat Gupta, PhD; and Haseeb Kazi, MD (March)
- “Big Data and Perioperative Nursing” by Bonnie L. Westra, PhD, RN, FAAN, FACMI; and Jessica J. Peterson, PhD-C, RN, CRNA (October)
- “Preoperative Screening for Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Children: A Systematic Literature Review” by Erin E. Bauer, DNP, CRNA; Rebecca Lee, DNP, CRNA; and Yasmine N. Campbell, DNP, CRNA (December)
AORN Journal CE Articles
Stay Current, Meet Requirements, Earn CEs
Searching for quality education? Preparing for recertification? AORN Journal Continuing Education (CE) articles feature a variety of perioperative topics, from sterilization and guideline implementation to prevention of sentinel events and infection prevention, as well as online evaluations with immediate test results!
Contribute to the AORN Journal
Write for the AORN Journal
Help patients through authorship — start writing for the AORN Journal. Get the resources you need to get started today including a list of suggested topics, author guidelines, a submission checklist, and more.
Peer Review for the AORN Journal
Help improve the quality of content in the AORN Journal by serving as a peer reviewer. Access the resources you need to get started today, including tutorials, guidelines, and more.