Expand Your Knowledge - Strengthen Your Patient Care
Stay up-to-date with the latest in evidence-based, clinical best practices through the award-winning, peer-reviewed AORN Journal. Available in timely, easy-to-read print, electronic, and mobile formats.
December 2016 Issue
Annual Salary Survey and Special Infection Prevention Report
This December issue features the results of the annual AORN Salary and Compensation Survey and the special infection prevention report, “A Perspective on the Year in Surgical Site Infection Prevention.” In addition, other featured articles discuss implementing "no interruption" zones, a pressure injury risk assessment and prevention protocol, and AORN's guideline on patient information management.
- Preoperative Screening for Sleep Disordered Breathing in Children
- Guideline Implementation: Patient Information Management
- Clinical Issues: Head coverings, skin preps, pediatric surgical counts, sterile set up, and surgical hand antisepsis.
- Results of the 2016 AORN Salary and Compensation Survey
- Special Report: A Perspective on the Year in Surgical Site Infection Prevention
- Implementing No Interruption Zones in the Perioperative Environment
- A Nurse-Initiated Perioperative Pressure Injury Risk Assessment and Prevention Protocol
January 2017 Issue Preview
The January 2017 issue is the special pre-AORN Global Surgical Conference & Expo 2017 issue that will feature conference content, including the candidate biographies and election statements, the exhibitor list, speaker interviews, and more! In addition, the issue contains articles on preventing perioperative pressure injuries, using simulation to implement an OR cardiac arrest crisis checklist, improving regulated waste management, and more.
AORN Journal Writers Contest Award Winners
The AORN Journal Writers Contest Awards recognize authors of the highest-quality AORN Journal articles. All articles published in the Journal in 2015 were eligible. Winning articles were chosen based on points awarded by Journal editors and Editorial Board members. Congratulations to our winners and honorable mentions!
The AORN Journal Writers Contest winners are:
- “Cardiac Risk Assessment: Decreasing Postoperative Complications” by Joanne L. Thanavaro, DNP, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, AGACNP-BC, DCC, FAANP (February)
- “The Nature and Hazards of Diathermy Plumes: A Review” by Catherine Lindsey, BN, RN; Marie Hutchinson, PhD, Grad Dip HA, MSc, RN, RM; and Gary Mellor, PhD, RN (April)
- “The Bariatric Patient: An Overview of Perioperative Care” by Jennifer L. Fencl, DNP, RN, CNS-BC, CNOR; Angela Walsh, MA, BSN, RN, CNOR; and Dawn Vocke, MSN, MBA, RN, CNOR (August)
Honorable mention goes to:
- “Computer Simulation Shows the Effect of Communication on Day of Surgery Patient Flow” by Kevin Taaffe, PhD; Lawrence Fredendall, PhD; Nathan Huynh, PhD; and Jennifer Franklin, MSN, NE-BC, CPAN (July)
- “Pressure Mapping Comparison of Four OR Surfaces” by Holly Kirkland-Walsh, MSN, FNP, CWCN; Oleg Teleten, MS, RN, CWCN; Machelle Wilson, PhD; and Bonnie Raingruber, PhD, RN (July)
AORN Journal CE Articles
Stay Current, Meet Requirements, Earn CEs
Searching for quality education? Preparing for recertification? AORN Journal Continuing Education (CE) articles feature a variety of perioperative topics, from sterilization and guideline implementation to prevention of sentinel events and infection prevention, as well as online evaluations with immediate test results!
Contribute to the AORN Journal
Write for the AORN Journal
Help patients through authorship — start writing for the AORN Journal. Get the resources you need to get started today including a list of suggested topics, author guidelines, a submission checklist, and more.
Peer Review for the AORN Journal
Help improve the quality of content in the AORN Journal by serving as a peer reviewer. Access the resources you need to get started today, including tutorials, guidelines, and more.