Expand Your Knowledge - Strengthen Your Patient Care
Stay up-to-date with the latest in evidence-based, clinical best practices through the award-winning, peer-reviewed AORN Journal. Available in timely, easy-to-read print, electronic, and mobile formats.
Check it out! The new and improved AORN Journal homepage brings you all the essential information you need in a more contemporary, user-friendly format, featuring enhanced visuals, improved navigation, a more interactive experience (monthly podcasts and live Twitter feed), and improved access to recent and archived CE articles.
April 2017 Issue
This April issue features articles on postoperative pain self-management among patients who underwent total knee or hip arthroplasty; innovative tests able to effectively guide proper blood product administration during trauma and surgical resuscitation; providing safe, high-quality care to patients who use service dogs; the safe use of lasers in the perioperative setting; and more!
- Effective Tools for Trauma and Surgical Resuscitation Efforts
- Guideline Implementation: Energy-Generating Devices, Part 2 – Lasers
- Clinical Issues: Using and evaluating hand hygiene products
- Postoperative Pain Self-Management Behavior in Patients
- Service Dogs in the Perioperative Setting
- Reducing Pediatric Surgery Cancellations
May 2017 Issue Preview
The May 2017 issue includes articles on implementing AORN’s guidelines for surgical smoke safety, preventing catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTI), following sterile technique principles, and improving nursing knowledge of inadvertent perioperative hypothermia.
AORN Journal Writers Contest Award Winners
The AORN Journal Writers Contest Awards recognize authors of the highest-quality AORN Journal articles. All articles published in the Journal in 2016 were eligible. Winning articles were chosen based on points awarded by Journal editors and Editorial Board members. Congratulations to our winners!
The 2017 AORN Journal Writers Contest winners are:
- “Pressure Ulcers: Factors Contributing to Their Development in the OR” by Dawn Engels, MSN, RN, CNS, CWOCN, CWCN-AP; Melody Austin, BSN, RN, CWOCN; Laurie McNichol, MSN, RN, CNS, GNP, CWOCN, CWON-AP; Jennifer Fencl, DNP, RN, CNS-BC, CNOR; Sat Gupta, PhD; and Haseeb Kazi, MD (March)
- “Big Data and Perioperative Nursing” by Bonnie L. Westra, PhD, RN, FAAN, FACMI; and Jessica J. Peterson, PhD-C, RN, CRNA (October)
- “Preoperative Screening for Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Children: A Systematic Literature Review” by Erin E. Bauer, DNP, CRNA; Rebecca Lee, DNP, CRNA; and Yasmine N. Campbell, DNP, CRNA (December)
AORN Journal CE Articles
Stay Current, Meet Requirements, Earn CEs
Searching for quality education? Preparing for recertification? AORN Journal Continuing Education (CE) articles feature a variety of perioperative topics, from sterilization and guideline implementation to prevention of sentinel events and infection prevention, as well as online evaluations with immediate test results!
Contribute to the AORN Journal
Write for the AORN Journal
Help patients through authorship — start writing for the AORN Journal. Get the resources you need to get started today including a list of suggested topics, author guidelines, a submission checklist, and more.
Peer Review for the AORN Journal
Help improve the quality of content in the AORN Journal by serving as a peer reviewer. Access the resources you need to get started today, including tutorials, guidelines, and more.