Renae Battiè, MN, RN, CNOR
Associate Vice President for Perioperative Services
Franciscan Health System
Human Resources Management
Battié will review the key aspects of human resource management in the surgical services setting. She will discuss the impact of the current nursing shortage and review strategies nurse managers can use to reduce its impact. Battié will describe the benefits of successful recruitment and the interview process, identify key components of a comprehensive orientation program and various approaches to staff scheduling, as well as provide methods for assessing staff competency.
The purpose of this continuing education activity is to review the key aspects of human resource management in the surgical services setting. The module discusses the impact of the current nursing shortage and reviews strategies nurse managers can use to reduce it impact. Case studies provide you with the opportunity to synthesize the information and evaluate human resource management in workplace scenarios.
Upon completion of this module, you should be able to:
- Describe the benefits of successful recruitment.
- Discuss the interview process.
- Identify key components of a comprehensive orientation program.
- Discuss various approaches to staff scheduling.
- Define methods for assessing staff competency.
- Explain the elements of the performance appraisal process.
- Discuss individual motivators in the workplace.
- List key factors in employee retention.
- Distinguish the causes and effects of staff turnover.
- Specify key considerations related to disciplinary action.
- Recognize the importance of cultural competence in today’s workplace.
- Identify personnel issues that affect teamwork.
- Differentiate the generational characteristics of nurses in today’s workforce.
- Describe the impact of workplace violence on staff members.
- Specify strategies to improve workplace safety.
- Describe key strategies in dealing with an impaired nurse.
- Analyze human resource management in workplace scenarios.
About the speaker:
Battié is responsible for coordinating the perioperative, GI, and sterile processing departments for Franciscan Health System’s five hospitals in the greater Tacoma, Washington area. Her previous roles were in academic and private non-profit multi-campus systems, including ambulatory. She has experience in OR design/construction, surgical information system implementations, specialty team development, and just culture. Battie was involved with the Association of periOperative Registered Nurses’ (AORN) Recommended Practices Committee for many years, as they transitioned from paper to electronic publishing and increased use of evidence. She has continued to be involved with the development of PNDS and the standarized perioperative record, as this work is crucial in validating the importance of the periopertive nurse in excellent perioperative patient care. She was honored to receive the AORN Award for Outstanding Achievement in Perioperative Nursing Management in 2010. She is a member of the Seattle chapter and Washington State Council and currently serves as the national AORN Vice President.