- About AORN
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion
Diversity, Equity, And Inclusion
Diversity, Equity, And Inclusion (DEI) in the Perioperative Community
AORN is committed to incorporating diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) principles into our work with our members, facilities, industry partners, in our communities and for our patients.
- AORN’s pledge to strengthen diversity, equity, and inclusion in healthcare is based, in part, on the ANA Code of Ethics that governs our profession.
- As a nursing organization we have a fundamental principle that underlies all nursing practice in our respect for the inherent dignity, worth, unique attributes, and human rights of all individuals.
- We are ethically responsible to provide leadership in the development and implementation of changes in public and health policies that support this duty and maintains the integrity of our profession.
What is DEI?
Diversity: Broad concept that embraces individual differences.
Equity: Fairness and respect. Individuals feel supported, valued, and trusted.
Inclusion: Involvement, engagement, and empowerment of all individuals. Leveraging everyone's’ talents and strengths so that they can contribute to his or her full potential.
Why Did You Become a Periop Nurse?AORN reached out to members to share why they became a perioperative nurse and why diversity in nursing is important.
- AORN Position Statement on Health Care Equity and Racial Justice (PDF)
- AORN House of Delegates: March 2022 DEI Report (PDF)
- AORN Initial Statement Following the Death of George Floyd
- AORN Message on Recent Violent Attacks on Asian Americans
- AORN Commits to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- AORN Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Progress Report
- Diversity, Equality & Inclusion: Hope for the Future
- Diversity, Equality & Inclusion: November - Diversity in Surgery - Special Editions
- Diversity, Equality & Inclusion: Standing Together
- Diversity, Equality & Inclusion: Where Are the Providers Who Look Like Me?
- Diversity, Equality & Inclusion: Listen and Learn
- Diversity, Equality & Inclusion: Essential Elements of Healthcare Equality
- Diversity, Equality & Inclusion: Understanding Implicit Bias
- Diversity, Equality & Inclusion: Much More Than a Kind Gesture
- Surgeon General Advisory Outlines Recommendations to Address
- Racial Differences in Outcomes After Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasties Persist
- Leadership Insights: Building an Empathetic Culture
- Guideline Quick View: Information Management
- ECRI Releases Top 10 Patient Safety Concerns for 2022
- Crisis Standards of Care May Result in Racial Inequities in Prioritization
- Complementary Care Interventions to Reduce Perioperative Anxiety
- AORN Position Statement on Health Care Equity and Racial Justice
- Guideline for Prevention of Perioperative Pressure Injury
- The Joint Commission releases Sentinel Event Alert on health care disparities
- Limited health literacy is linked to an increased risk of complications
- The Future of Nursing: Health Equity
- Racial/ethnic differences in vaccine hesitancy among health care workers
- Addressing health literacy in the perioperative setting
- Quick Safety discusses strategies to support the health of diverse communities
- Demystifying the Institutional Review Board
- Study identifies disparities in orthopedic telemedicine based on race and ethnicity
- The National Academy of Medicine releases Future of Nursing 2020–2030 report
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention releases statement on racism and health
- Updated Approaches for Patient Blood Management in Cardiac Surgery
- Improving Perioperative Communication During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Telemedicine may help increase access to surgical care
- The Joint Commission outlines actions to address intimate partner violence
- Guideline for patient information management
- Best practices for use of telemedicine
- High county social vulnerability is linked to worse postoperative outcomes
- Honoring an AORN Pioneer During Black History Month
- Selecting an antiseptic skin preparation agent according to the patient’s skin pigmentation
- Guideline Quick View: Patient Skin Antisepsis
- Preoperative preparation
- Guideline for preoperative patient skin antisepsis
- ECRI releases top 10 patient safety concerns for 2021
- Guideline for complementary care
- Our Shared Purpose: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Back to Basics: Social Determinants of Health
The Periop Life
Resources From Outside AORN
- “Stop AAPI Hate”: a website that tracks hate incidents against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the United States. Check out the Stop AAPI Hate National Report for information on discrimination and recent incidents.
- Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund: a national organization, founded in 1974, working to protect and promote civil rights for Asian-Americans.
- #HATEISAVIRUS: an initiative and community raising awareness on anti-Asian racism and supporting Asian-owned businesses.
- Meet Anguish with Action: find resources to learn what you can do to create a more just and equitable world.