Expand Your Knowledge - Strengthen Your Patient Care
Stay up-to-date with the latest in evidence-based, clinical best practices through the award-winning, peer-reviewed AORN Journal. Available in timely, easy-to-read print, electronic, and mobile formats.
New: AORN Journal CE contact hours are now FREE to AORN members.
November 2017 Issue
Special Focus Issue: Nursing Certification
This special November issue features articles on local anesthetic systemic toxicity, the role of APRNs in translating research and evidence into clinical practice, optimizing nursing care for patients with epilepsy, decreasing the risk of harmful exposure to cleaning and disinfecting products, and providing safe and appropriate care for pediatric patients. In addition, the Clinical Issues column examines HVAC systems in the OR, air changes and positive pressure, product selection, and more.
CE Articles: FREE to AORN members!
- Local Anesthetic Systemic Toxicity
- Translating Evidence Into Practice: How APRNs Can Help Guide Best Practices
- Epilepsy: Clinical Review and Surgical Options
- Back to Basics: Environmental Cleaning Hazards
- Enhancing Pediatric Perioperative Patient Safety
- Clinical Issues—November 2017
- Temporary Perioperative Tobacco Cessation: A Literature Review
The December 2017 Issue Preview
The December 2017 issue features a special highlight on infection prevention and includes the results of the 2017 AORN Salary and Compensation Survey. Feature article topics include implementing a surgical smoke evacuation program; minimizing sources of airborne, aerosolized, and contact contaminants in the OR environment; using and cleaning x-ray aprons and thyroid shields; and more!
AORN Journal Receives Its First Impact Factor
The AORN Journal has been included in Clarivate Analytics’ 2017 Journal Citation Reports® and has received its first-ever Journal Impact Factor. The Impact Factor is based on impact and influence metrics, along with citation data from the Web of Science, and measures a journal’s influence in the scientific community. This is an incredibly exciting achievement that raises the Journal’s standing in scholarly literature.
Introducing Journal Essentials
On-the-go just got easier with Journal Essentials - our new digital supplement to the AORN Journal. Providing a snapshot view of each month’s Journal articles, this great new resource delivers one page summaries of articles considered essential reading for perioperative practice!
Check out this month’s edition.
AORN Journal Writers Contest Award Winners
The AORN Journal Writers Contest Awards recognize authors of the highest-quality AORN Journal articles. All articles published in the Journal in 2016 were eligible. Winning articles were chosen based on points awarded by Journal editors and Editorial Board members. Congratulations to our winners!
The 2017 AORN Journal Writers Contest winners are:
- “Pressure Ulcers: Factors Contributing to Their Development in the OR” by Dawn Engels, MSN, RN, CNS, CWOCN, CWCN-AP; Melody Austin, BSN, RN, CWOCN; Laurie McNichol, MSN, RN, CNS, GNP, CWOCN, CWON-AP; Jennifer Fencl, DNP, RN, CNS-BC, CNOR; Sat Gupta, PhD; and Haseeb Kazi, MD (March)
- “Big Data and Perioperative Nursing” by Bonnie L. Westra, PhD, RN, FAAN, FACMI; and Jessica J. Peterson, PhD-C, RN, CRNA (October)
- “Preoperative Screening for Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Children: A Systematic Literature Review” by Erin E. Bauer, DNP, CRNA; Rebecca Lee, DNP, CRNA; and Yasmine N. Campbell, DNP, CRNA (December)
AORN Journal CE Articles
Stay Current, Meet Requirements, Earn CEs
Searching for quality education? Preparing for recertification? AORN Journal Continuing Education (CE) articles feature a variety of perioperative topics, from sterilization and guideline implementation to prevention of sentinel events and infection prevention, as well as online evaluations with immediate test results!
Contribute to the AORN Journal
Write for the AORN Journal
Help patients through authorship — start writing for the AORN Journal. Get the resources you need to get started today including a list of suggested topics, author guidelines, a submission checklist, and more.
Peer Review for the AORN Journal
Help improve the quality of content in the AORN Journal by serving as a peer reviewer. Access the resources you need to get started today, including tutorials, guidelines, and more.