Expand Your Knowledge - Strengthen Your Patient Care
Stay up-to-date with the latest in evidence-based, clinical best practices through the award-winning, peer-reviewed AORN Journal. Available in timely, easy-to-read print, electronic, and mobile formats.
October 2016 Issue
Special Focus: Technology
This October issue features content on performing totally endoscopic robotic mitral valve surgery, body art and perioperative process, wearing nail polish and rings in the OR, and preventing dry skin as a result of hand hygiene.
- Totally Endoscopic Robotic Mitral Valve Surgery
- Body Art and the Perioperative Process
- Clinical Issues: Wearing nail polish, preventing dry skin, wearing rings.
- Big Data and Perioperative Nursing
- Perioperative Heat Loss Prevention—A Feasibility Trial
- Achieving Cost Reduction Through Data Analytics
November 2016 Issue Preview
The November 2016 issue will feature a special focus on conscious leadership and will include articles on creating healing environments through the Theory of Caring, patient care transitions, honoring professional trust, and the physician as a conscious leader.
AORN Journal Writers Contest Award Winners
The AORN Journal Writers Contest Awards recognize authors of the highest-quality AORN Journal articles. All articles published in the Journal in 2015 were eligible. Winning articles were chosen based on points awarded by Journal editors and Editorial Board members. Congratulations to our winners and honorable mentions!
The AORN Journal Writers Contest winners are:
- “Cardiac Risk Assessment: Decreasing Postoperative Complications” by Joanne L. Thanavaro, DNP, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, AGACNP-BC, DCC, FAANP (February)
- “The Nature and Hazards of Diathermy Plumes: A Review” by Catherine Lindsey, BN, RN; Marie Hutchinson, PhD, Grad Dip HA, MSc, RN, RM; and Gary Mellor, PhD, RN (April)
- “The Bariatric Patient: An Overview of Perioperative Care” by Jennifer L. Fencl, DNP, RN, CNS-BC, CNOR; Angela Walsh, MA, BSN, RN, CNOR; and Dawn Vocke, MSN, MBA, RN, CNOR (August)
Honorable mention goes to:
- “Computer Simulation Shows the Effect of Communication on Day of Surgery Patient Flow” by Kevin Taaffe, PhD; Lawrence Fredendall, PhD; Nathan Huynh, PhD; and Jennifer Franklin, MSN, NE-BC, CPAN (July)
- “Pressure Mapping Comparison of Four OR Surfaces” by Holly Kirkland-Walsh, MSN, FNP, CWCN; Oleg Teleten, MS, RN, CWCN; Machelle Wilson, PhD; and Bonnie Raingruber, PhD, RN (July)
AORN Journal CE Articles
Stay Current, Meet Requirements, Earn CEs
Searching for quality education? Preparing for recertification? AORN Journal Continuing Education (CE) articles feature a variety of perioperative topics, from sterilization and guideline implementation to prevention of sentinel events and infection prevention, as well as online evaluations with immediate test results!
Contribute to the AORN Journal
Write for the AORN Journal
Help patients through authorship — start writing for the AORN Journal. Get the resources you need to get started today including a list of suggested topics, author guidelines, a submission checklist, and more.
Peer Review for the AORN Journal
Help improve the quality of content in the AORN Journal by serving as a peer reviewer. Access the resources you need to get started today, including tutorials, guidelines, and more.