James W. Bowers, BSN, RN, CNOR, TNCC
Clinical Educator for General Surgery, Trauma, Pediatrics, Surgical-Oncology, and Oral Maxillofacial Surgery and Plastics, West Virginia University Healthcare
Candidate for Board of Directors (Four to be Elected)
James W. Bowers, BSN, RN, CNOR, TNCC, is a clinical educator for General Surgery, Trauma, Pediatrics, Surgical-Oncology, and Oral Maxillofacial Surgery and Plastics, West Virginia University Healthcare, Morgantown. He earned a Bachelor of Science in nursing from West Virginia University, Morgantown.
Bowers has been a perioperative nurse for 31 years and a member of AORN for 30 years.
He is a member of
- AORN of North Central West Virginia (2013-present),
- the West Virginia State Council (2013-present),
- the Leadership Specialty Assembly (2019-present), and
- the Clinical Nurse Educator Specialty Assembly (2014-present).
Bowers has attended Congress 10 times in the past 10 years, each time as a delegate.
Bowers has received
- an AORN Outstanding Achievement in Perioperative Clinical Nursing Practice Award (2015) and
- George P. Heffner, MD, Medical Staff Member of the Year, Diabetes Camp of West Virginia (2016).
Highlights of Bowers’ service to AORN include that he is
- chair of AORN Global Surgical Conference & Expo Committee 2023 (2022-present),
- co-chair of the West Virginia State Council (2020-present),
- president-elect of AORN of North Central West Virginia (2022-present), and
- a member of the AORN Foundation Silent Auction Committee (2013-present).
He has been
- co-chair of AORN Global Surgical Conference & Expo Committee (2021-2022),
- a member of the AORN Bylaws Committee (2021-2022),
- a member of the AORN Board of Directors (2015-2018),
- co-chair of the AORN Task Force for Transition Into Practice (2014-2015),
- chair of the Trauma Specialty Assembly Professional/Practice Issues (2013), and
- a member of the AORN Nominating Committee (2013).
In other leadership roles, Bowers is
- secretary for the Diabetes Camp of West Virginia (2013-present) and
- a member of the Interplast of West Virginia Board of Directors (2020-present).
He has been
- a surgical services educator-reviewer for the Competency & Credentialing Institute (CCI) (2015),
- a member of the CNOR Bench Marking Committee for CCI (2020), and
- a perioperative nurse liaison on OR research for the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) (2013-2022).
In his community, Bowers is
- an official Red Cross nurse volunteer (2018-present).
He has been
- a cabin nurse for the Diabetes Camp of West Virginia (2013-2022) and
- a nurse volunteer for Interplast of West Virginia to Lesotho, South Africa (2018).
The past few years have been trying and unsettling. Many nurses readily admit one of their most significant challenges is dealing with the rapid changes occurring in the health care environment.
If change is inevitable, we must embrace it, champion positive change and acknowledge the feelings that arise during the process. Our members are our most valuable asset. As an association we need to ensure that we are able to give our members the tools needed to succeed.
We need leaders that have the knowledge, courage, and persuasive abilities to keep up with the ever-changing times. The leaders of today, and the future to think ahead and flexible to change direction if required.
I am an experienced national leader. Having served four years on your Board I have an in-depth knowledge of the responsibilities of the Board our organization, its mission, vision, operations, strategic plan as well as principles of good governance.
I care deeply about our members. Leaders need to walk the walk and talk the talk. I have the integrity and walk the walk and talk the talk every day alongside my nursing staff. The leadership of AORN must listen to our members and act on the member’s needs. I will do this with clear vision, courage, and focus.