Effective cleaning procedures in the perioperative environment are essential to promote safety and decrease the risk of the spread of infection for surgical patients and team members. Directors, managers, educators, and other interested health care providers from nursing, environmental services, and infection prevention will benefit by using the online modules and the associated materials to teach everyone in the perioperative areas how to clean the perioperative environment based on the current evidence-based recommended practices.
The purpose of the Environmental Cleaning Tool Kit is to educate all team members about guidelines for cleaning the perioperative environment, promoting patient safety, and preventing the spread of infection in the perioperative environment.
- Describe the importance of a clean perioperative environment.
- Define the common terminology associated with recommended practices for cleaning the perioperative environment.
- Explain the recommended steps for cleaning the perioperative areas and the sterile processing areas.
- State the recommended practices for using chemicals, tools, and equipment for cleaning in the perioperative areas.
- Definitions related to Environmental Cleaning (PDF)
- Environmental Cleaning Tool Kit Faculty Disclosures (PowerPoint, PPTX)
- Resources related to Environmental Cleaning (PDF)
- Sample Cleaning Checklist: includes OR and Preoperative and Postoperative Areas (PDF)
- Sample Cleaning Checklist: includes OR and Preoperative and Postoperative Areas (TEMPLATE) (DOC)
- Sample Cleaning Checklist: Special Conditions (PDF)
- Sample Cleaning Checklist: Special Conditions (TEMPLATE) (DOC)
- Sample Cleaning Checklist: Sterile processing areas (PDF)
- Sample Cleaning Checklist: Sterile processing areas (TEMPLATE) (DOC)
- Poster 1: Clean Your Hands and Clean the Environment (PDF)
- Poster 2: Environmental Cleaning It's Important (PDF)
- Poster 3: Keep it Clean! OR (PDF)>
- Poster 4: Keep it Clean! Preop and Postop Areas (PDF)
- Poster 5: Keep it Clean! Sterile Processing Area (PDF)
- Environmental Cleaning Presentation 1: Cleaning Basics (PowerPoint, PPTX)
- Environmental Cleaning Presentation 2: Preoperative and Postoperative Areas (PowerPoint, PPTX)
- Environmental Cleaning Presentation 3: OR and Procedure Rooms (PowerPoint, PPTX)
- Environmental Cleaning Presentation 4: Sterile Processing Areas (PowerPoint, PPTX)
- Environmental Cleaning Presentation 5: Special Cleaning Procedures (PowerPoint, PPTX)
- Environmental Cleaning Presentation 6: Quality and Process Improvement (PowerPoint, PPTX)
Related External Links
- Ebola Virus Disease: CDC Recommendations on Cleaning and Disinfection
- Recommended Practices for Environmental Cleaning
Content Reuse Policy
Users are not permitted to use this content for commercial purposes. Users are permitted to copy and paste content and adapt it for use in their work settings. Permission for other uses may be sought directly from AORN, Inc., located in Denver, Colorado (USA), by contacting the Publications Department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax (303) 750-3441.
Copyright ©2017 AORN, Inc. All rights reserved. Except as noted herein, no part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or any information storage and retrieval system, without prior written permission from AORN, Inc.
No responsibility is assumed by AORN, Inc. for any injury and/or damage to persons or property as a matter of products liability, negligence or otherwise, or from any use or operation of any standards, recommended practices, methods, products, instructions, or ideas contained in the material herein. Because of rapid advances in the health care sciences in particular, independent verification of diagnoses, medication dosages, and individualized care and treatment should be made. The material contained herein is not intended to be a substitute for the exercise of professional medical or nursing judgment The content in this publication is provided on an as is basis.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, AORN, INC. DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT OR THIRD PARTIES RIGHTS, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.