Lisa Bailey, BSN, BS, RN, CNOR
Generalist in Nursing Professional Development at Baylor Health Care System, Dallas, Texas
Candidate for Board of Directors (Four to be Elected)
Lisa A. Bailey, BSN, BS, RN, CNOR, an operating room charge nurse at HCA-St. David’s Bailey Square Surgery Center, Austin, Texas. She earned an associate degree in nursing from Central Texas College, Killeen; a Bachelor of Science in health management from Bellevue University, Nebraska; and a Bachelor of Science in nursing from Walden University, Minneapolis, Minnesota. She is pursuing a Master of Science in nursing leadership from Western Governors University, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Bailey has been a perioperative nurse for 20 years and a member of AORN for 19 years. She is a member of
- the Central Texas Chapter of AORN (2013-present),
- the Clinical Nurse Educator Specialty Assembly (2016-present),
- the Leadership Specialty Assembly (2013-present),
- the Ambulatory Surgery Specialty Assembly (2013-present), and
- the Perioperative Nursing Informatics Specialty Assembly (2022-present).
She has been
- a member of the Texas Council of Operating Room Nurses (TCORN) (2013-2016).
Bailey has attended Congress nine times in the past 10 years, each time as a delegate.
Highlights of Bailey’s service to AORN include that she is
- a member of the Board of Directors (2021-present),
- Board liaison to the Awards Committee (2021-present),
- Board liaison to the Perioperative Nursing Informatics Specialty Assembly (2022-present), and
- president of the Central Texas Chapter of AORN (2021-present).
She has been
- communication chair of the Clinical Nurse Educator Specialty Assembly (2016-2021),
- a member of the National Committee on Education (2015-2016),
- newsletter editor for the Central Texas Chapter of AORN (2013-2016),
- vice president of the Central Texas Chapter of AORN (2019-2021), and
- a member of the Central Texas Chapter of AORN Board of Directors (2015-2017).
In other leadership roles, Bailey is
- a member of the Psi Upsilon Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau (2022-present).
She has been
- chair of the Temple College Surgical Technology Advisory Committee (2018-2021),
- a member of the Temple College Surgical Technology Advisory Committee (2016-2022), and
- a member of the Virginia College Surgical Technology Advisory Committee (2016-2017).
In her community, Bailey has been
- a volunteer for the Veterans of Foreign Wars (2021) and
- a volunteer for Ronald McDonald House (2013).
Nursing has been widely accepted as one of the most trusted and honorable professions for many decades, and rightfully so. There have been many changes in nursing practice over the years, but one constant through it all: nurses are essential to providing safe quality health care. Even with imminent changes in nursing for the future, this fact is sure to remain unchanged. As respect for the nursing profession has increased, so have responsibilities, expectations, and leadership roles.
Serving as a current member of your Board of Directors has equipped me with a solid understanding of our organization. Serving is a privilege, and it comes with considerable responsibility. In addition to bringing real, meaningful value to our members it is an opportunity to serve as a change agent. The only constant is change and change is difficult for humans and organizations alike. However, change is necessary for growth and, when harnessed properly, will shape AORN’s future.
The future of nursing depends on experienced nurses taking leadership roles to train incoming generations. AORN and your elected leaders must be ready and prepared to assist our members. It is crucial that your Board focus on advocating for our AORN chapters and members. Nurses need to understand they have a voice and a powerful one when they all act together. I bring 20 years of experience as a nurse and health care leader. I am prepared to help lead us forward. I ask for your support to continue to serve you.