The AORN Individual Awards program provides an annual opportunity to recognize and honor members who have demonstrated excellence in the perioperative nursing profession.
The eight individual achievement award categories are listed below. Each category page provides further information including award criteria and required elements for completing the online application. Applicants may apply for more than one award, unless applying for the Award for Excellence in Perioperative Nursing; applicants are eligible to submit for that award only. Nominees must be members of AORN in good standing.
Please note, AORN Board of Directors, Awards Committee members, Past Award for Excellence recipients, Selection Panel members, and Headquarters staff are not eligible for individual achievement awards. If you have already been honored as a previous recipient of the Award for Excellence we celebrate your achievement and ask that you refrain from applying for the Individual Awards. We encourage members to apply who meet the qualifications and have not received past Awards.
The Individual Awards for 2017 have been selected. You can view the list of recipients here.
- Award for Excellence in Perioperative Nursing
- Outstanding Volunteer Leadership
- Outstanding Achievement in Mentorship
- Outstanding Achievement in Perioperative Clinical Nursing Practice
- Outstanding Achievement in Perioperative Nursing Management
- Outstanding Achievement in Perioperative Nursing Research or Evidence-Based Practice
- Outstanding Achievement in Perioperative Education, Clinical or Academic
- Promising Professional Achievement Award
Important Points to Remember
- Nominees must be a current member of AORN
- Review criteria for award you are applying or being nominated for
- Nominated applications must include Nominator information and Nominator statement
AORN Board of Directors, Awards Committee members, judging panel members, and Headquarters staff are ineligible for awards while holding any of these positions. Awards Committee members and judging panel members may not nominate and/or sponsor any individual award applicants during their term due to conflict of interest involving the judging process.
When evaluating individual applications, the Awards Committee will establish minimum scoring thresholds. The committee and judging panels will base their decisions on criteria including, but not limited to: strength of candidate's statement, quality of supporting endorsements, membership and participation in AORN, certification(s), additional professional memberships, and content of Curriculum Vitae or Résumé. All information received will be kept confidential by the Awards Committee and judging panels. Awards are presented annually at AORN's Surgical Conference & Expo.
Contact the Awards Committee staff liaison if you have any questions regarding the awards process.