AORN Center of Excellence in Surgical Safety: Smoke Evacuation
Protect Your Team and Patients from Surgical Smoke
Go Clear™ and join the more than 800 surgical teams who’ve made surgical smoke evacuation a top priority. The AORN Center of Excellence in Surgical Safety: Smoke Evacuation Program is a comprehensive surgical smoke-free recognition program for facilities who want to ensure a smoke-free environment.
Questions or Ready to Register?
The Hidden Dangers of Surgical Smoke
Surgical smoke is the by-product of using energy-generating devices (e.g., electrosurgery units, lasers, ultrasonic devices, powered surgical instruments [e.g., orthopedic saws]).
Perioperative nurses report twice as many respiratory issues as compared to the general population.1
Become an Advocate
AORN has partnered with Medtronic through the AORN Foundation to create a comprehensive Surgical Smoke-Free Recognition Program. This program is designed for any facility that wants to improve patient and workplace safety, recruit and retain top clinicians, and be recognized for their commitment to a surgical smoke-free environment.
The Award designation is rated on:
- Education performance
- Smoke evacuation compliance
- Ensuring your facility has sufficient smoke evacuators and accessories
View the facilities who have made the commitment to go surgical smoke-free and obtain the AORN Go Clear Award.
The free education and resources in the program will help your facility improve its surgical smoke safety efforts by:
- Protecting your team and patients from the hazards of surgical smoke
- Attracting and retaining the best clinicians due to a healthier, smoke-free environment
- Providing education on the risks of surgical smoke and methods for smoke evacuation
- Increasing smoke evacuation compliance on all surgical smoke generating procedures
“The Go Clear Award Program was a huge success; really supportive information and tools. The program is extremely comprehensive. Since rolling out the program, our compliance has gone up 90%.”
This evidence-based program is made possible by Medtronic through the AORN Foundation.